Data recovery services: Methodology
External hard drive recovery and Hdd data recovery can involve multiple techniques. Some damage can be repaired by replacing parts in the hard disk. This alone may make the disk usable, but there may still be logical damage. A specialized disk-imaging procedure is used to recover every readable bit from the surface. Once this image is acquired and saved on a reliable medium, the image can be safely analyzed for logical damage and will possibly allow much of the original file system to be reconstructed.
- Media that has suffered a catastrophic electronic failure requires data recovery in order to salvage its contents.
- A common misconception is that a damaged printed circuit board (PCB) may be simply replaced during recovery procedures by an identical PCB from a healthy drive. While this may work in rare circumstances on hard disk drives manufactured before 2003, it will not work on newer drives. Electronics boards of modern drives usually contain drive-specific adaptation data required for accessing their system areas, so the related component needs to be either reprogrammed (if possible) or unsoldered and transferred between two electronics boards.
- Eachhard disk drive has what is called a system area or service area; this portion of the drive, which is not directly accessible to the end user, usually contains drive’s firmware and adaptive data that helps the drive operate within normal parameters.
- One function of the system area is to log defective sectors within the drive; essentially telling the drive where it can and cannot write data.
- The sector lists are also stored on various chips attached to the PCB, and they are unique to each hard disk drive. If the data on the PCB do not match what is stored on the platter, then the drive will not calibrate properly.
- In most cases the drive heads will click because they are unable to find the data matching what is stored on the PCB.
Recovering Your Data
- Upon receiving approval to proceed, your job will be re-queued for the actualdata recovery service (If you have requested expedited service, your hard drive will circumvent the recovery queue & become “next in line” for recovery).
- Any necessary mechanical repairs are completed and an exact mirror image (clone) of each hard drive is completed.
- The integrity of your data is never placed in jeopardy as all recovery procedures are performed on an exact sector by sector duplicate of your original drive, never on the original.
- Using special equipment, DRG technicians then evaluate the condition of the data structure and any logical (file structure) damage will be repaired and the recovered data is transitioned to our secure storage servers in preparation to recover lost data.
- The original drive is then ready to be returned to the client in “as received” condition so it may be returned under warranty exchange, if applicable.